Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas (to absent friends and family)


I thought that I would sneak out one more post before Christmas. We've got a lot of vacuuming, cleaning, etc. to do today. Having visitors is, of course, a good motivator to get one to clean one's living space (nod, if you agree).

We are pretty sure that all gifts are accounted for (except for the ones that Santa brings...). They are even wrapped this year. The Christmas eve tradition in our house has usually been to take turns in a secluded room to wrap your presents. That was not fun, but a single malt usually made the task bearable. My wife is ahead of the game this year with everything wrapped on behalf of everyone. This was to allow us to spend time with my parents who are driving to town this afternoon.

Danielle Ferries had a great pre-Christmas post at her blog From the Attic where she posted a festive photo of herself as a little girl. I think we should start that as a small, online tradition. I present to you at the left a photo of me and my mother exactly 40 years ago (now I feel really old) when we lived in Sidney, B.C. That's the best that I can come up with as mum would have all the good stuff in her album (me naked in the tub, etc.)

I wish you all a great holiday in whatever format you are celebrating. So...have a Merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, a memorable Eid, a jolly Kwanzaa, or perhaps just an eggnog or glass of wine while watching the snow gently fall on the lawn (for those in the northern hemisphere). Cheers! ~Alan

10 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

The Ren and Stimpy pic takes me back (not 40 years back, but back). ;) Merry Christmas, Alan.

DEZMOND said...

Merry Christmas to you as well Alan, may it be warm and pleasant and may you wake up tomorrow with lots of lovely gifts underneath the Christmas tree :)

People in my country celebrate Christmas on January 7th (Serbia is an Orthodox country), but I celebrate both ones, just for the atmosphere and the love you can feel in the air in this festive season.

Love, Dezz

Fox Lee said...

Merry Christmas : )

Anonymous said...

I heart Ren and Stimpy. This could be the theme for your comments thread. Xmas? Bah. Ren and Stimpy? Happy happy joy joy!!!

There are no pictures of me enjoying Xmas. Incredible how flammable those old Kodak prints were.

Laura Eno said...

Merry Christmas, Alan!

K.C. Shaw said...

That's an adorable picture! And I love wrapping presents; if I lived closer, you could have me come over and I'd wrap them all. :)

Merry Christmas!

Katey said...

I hope it was a good one. And oh, what an adorable cardigan!

I too use guests coming as an excuse to clean. If not for my revolving front door this year, I'm afraid I might've only vacuumed once a month. (That's the one chore I hate. Ugh.)

Akasha Savage. said...

Ditto on the cleaning! It gets done on birthdays and at Christmas!!
Happy Seasonal Wishes Alan, to you and yours...we here in England have even enjoyed a bit of snow this year...yay!

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies and gents. I was quite a fan of Ren and Stimpy in the day...

KC, I hate wrapping so much I would consider paying for you to fly up here to do it.

Katey, I always insisted my mother dressed my funny.

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a fantastic Christmas, Alan. :)

I love to wrap presents. I used to wrap them for the entire family. Maybe you should use festive cloth bags. You just shove the presents in there (ta da, insta-wrap!) and you're also going green.

-Mercedes