Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pimping Polson, Etc.

I figure that it has been at least three days since I last pimped something, so today seems like a fine day to do that. Those of you who have dropped by for a while have heard me mention writer Aaron Polson before. I've enjoyed his short stories for nearly two years and he now has novels available for purchase. I think of his work as 'literary horror'. It is descriptive, it is mesmerizing. Sometimes the horror sneaks in slowly, enveloping you with a cloak of unease. Other times it hits you like a punch in the gut. I recently read his story 'Wanting It' in Shock Totem 3. A ghostly tale about the loss of childhood innocence. It was one of those stories that sticks in your mind for a long time.

Aaron is generously offering the Kindle version of his novel The House Eaters for a measly 99 cents. That's no typo. You can download the horror for less than a buck. Link to the information at his blog here. I've downloaded my copy (Aaron will be pleased to hear that he's nestled nicely between Sir Walter Scott and Sir Thomas More in my Kindle directory). Keep in mind, though, that this is a temporary offer so you should drop by now.

*Awkward segue alert* And while we're on the subject of Shock Totem...

I'm about 7 or 8 stories into that third issue of Shock Totem (yes, they are indeed curious tales of the macabre and twisted). I must say, there is NOT a bad tale in that anthology. It's difficult to describe, but I think the team there have elevated horror to a new level. Perhaps horror isn't the correct word...it's more of a 'unnerving' feeling you get as you work through each tale. Anyway, I hadn't intended this post to turn into a book review so consider the Shock Totem 3 anthology highly recommended. And if you can't trust a guy in a fez, who can you trust?  Help out a small press and get a copy.

*Second awkward segue alert* And since I mentioned the team at Shock Totem...

I'd like to send a shout out to the lovely Mercedes M. Yardley. She handles the non-fiction submissions at Shock Totem and is also a fine writer of horror and otherworldly things. She blogs at A Broken Laptop and has resurrected her "Be Mysterious: Writers in Masks" series. The short explanation...she hosts a weekly blog feature pimping out a writer (and their current project) with a bio and a photo of them donning a mask of their choosing. Mysterious indeed. Click on the link if you'd like more information or if you'd like Mercedes to feature you and your writing project in the near future. Don't be shy.

*Third awkward segue alert* And speaking of not being shy...

Drop by my blog on the weekend. There WILL be an announcement about a cool contest. Sharpen your crayons now. It involves writing. And maybe the juggling of wee, hairless animals.

Maybe.

13 comments:

Paula RC said...

Thank you for letting us know about your contest. I shall drop by a take a peek, but at the moment I'm a bit busy to partake.

Katey said...

I love all your literary horror picks too, Alan. I must say, your taste is impeccable! Aaron is wonderful, Shock Totem is above and beyond, and Mercedes' competition is the best. :D

Mmm contest!

EC said...

Three days of no pimping? That's rough!

I love the writers in Shock Totem, always a talented selection. I hope to get my foot in there someday.

I just downloaded Polson's anthology, The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories, and love the stories so far. I think literary horror is a fitting description of his writing, and really seems to be the direction that a lot of horror is taking. You can't scare with just blood and shadows anymore - there has to be a plot, and Polson does good on that.

Thanks, Alan.

Gigi said...

I usually shy away from short stories because they always leave me wanting more - but I'll have to look for this and add him to my list!

Thanks for the notice....

Note to self - buy crayons. Get over squeamishness of handling small, hairless animals.

Laurita said...

I'm about halfway through Aaron's book now (I bought it yesterday) and I am really enjoying it. It's a very good example of how e-pulishing should be done. His is a name you see everywhere (like Shock Totem for example) and for good reason.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I dunno, Alan, a whole buck? I was saving that up for a Tim's. Could you spot me a loonie? I swear I'll get it back to you next time I'm in the neighbourhood.
Loves me that Aaron Polson.

Fox Lee said...

Do we write on the hairless animal?

Anonymous said...

Wow, am I glad I stopped by your blog today! Thanks, Alan!

I'm definitely picking up Aaron's book. His work sticks in my head, and that's high praise indeed. :)

-Mercedes

Michael Solender said...

what a pleasure when an anthology reads so strong story after story - nice pimpage here alan

Danielle Birch said...

I loved The House Eaters and recommend anyone who hasn't already bought a copy to do so immediately.

John Wiswell said...

Shock Totem has very high standards. Or at least, I hope that's why they keep rejecting my stuff.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Jarmara- For sure, follow along (though I still hope that you enter).

Katey- Thanks! Hey, are you sending a photo of yourself in a mask to Mercedes?

Erin- I agree. I very talented group of writers in issue 3 of Shock Totem. I'm now officially intimidated from subbing a story there!

Gigi- I know what you mean. Though, I find the short stories in anthologies are good if you're pressed for time. The 3000 to 5000 word range stories can pack a lot of entertainment. And I hope you enter a story!

Laurita- All true about Mr. Polson. And I'm sure the e-publishing world has equal amounts of good AND bad out there.

Cathy- Funny girl. I think that many would agree that he's worth way more than a Timmy's coffee!

Nat- I was going to suggest tattooing, actually...

Mercedes- You're welcome! I hear what you're saying about Aaron. There are A LOT of horror writers out there, but he's on a different level.

Michael- Thank you, sir. Shock Totem has really impressed me and I'll be following their future issues for sure.

Danielle- That's good to hear. I'm yet to start reading it.

John- You're right, they do have very high standards. As I noted above...I think I'm going to have to rethink (er...edit) the story I was going to submit there! I've read a lot of your work John...it's high quality, so keep subbing there. It's only a matter of time.

Cate Gardner said...

One of my favourite small press writers - awesome post, Alan.