Sunday, September 30, 2012

Michael, Kerry and Dora

I started typing this blog post with the idea that it would be titled 'Thirty Days Hath September' because it reminded me of the promise I made to myself (weeks ago) that I would post at least once this month. Talk about getting in under the wire...

The three names in the post title seemed to be more topical to the last couple of weeks.

I have been on 'vacation' the past week. Partly because my sister, Kerry, was visiting from Edmonton and partly because it was my 50th birthday during the week (and Kerry flew in to help talk me off the ledge). She had a lovely visit with our parents up the shore and then she spent a few days here in town to catch up on current events with us and with old friends. Kerry enjoyed kayaking in Cape Broyle, hiking at Cape Spear and generally browsing the downtown shops.

It was on one of these walks that she stumbled upon the legendary Dora, who had obviously hit upon hard times (see photo below).


Dora is down on the mean streets of St. John's

Dora had dried leaves stuck in her hair, was clad only in a pink bikini, and was lying on the steps of what had once been a popular strip joint (or so I am told) on the east end of Duckworth Street.

Almost forgot...her feet had been chewed off as well...


The scene of the crime
Kerry documented the sad scene with a photo (no doubt to sell to the scandal mags) and we went on our way, trying to forget that this young tart woman had once been a legendary explorer who had won the hearts of young girls (and 10% of the boys) around the world. Two days later we again passed by the building and found that Dora had crawled down the side alley (left) of the same boarded up building. My sister, used to seeing other sad souls on the mean streets of Edmonton, was moved nearly to tears and felt that Dora needed a helping hand (and prosthetic feet also).

Dora became our travelling companion for the rest of the day. I tried several times to engage the young woman in conversation but sadly my Spanish is lacking. The only understandable thing she muttered was, "Ola Senor...you buy me rum, si?"  My sister insisted I pose with Dora to prove to my blogger friends that I had met a bona fide celebrity (below).

Am a bit embarrassed here because as I reached for Dora's arm I accidentally grabbed her left breast (not the reason I am smiling)

Kerry tried fruitfully to take several photos of Dora with scenes of the city in background. The young star had obviously 'gone Hollywood' and was very difficult to work with. The only usable photo (all the others had her showing 'too much skin' or flipping us the bird) I will display below.

Dora, with Cabot Tower in the background, did the splits (we had her readjust her bikini bottom in an attempt at modesty)

Kerry soon tired of the scene and was quickly over Dora. She posed for a photo with her new friend Schooner the Newfoundland dog on Signal Hill (below).


Kerry, her new BFF Schooner and the vast Atlantic beyond
 Also on the agenda this week was when V and myself got together with writing buddy Laurita Miller and met up with cyber-friend Michael Solender and his wife 'sweetie' in a downtown coffee shop. They had travelled from North Carolina to spend two weeks here at various locations on 'The Rock' and seemed to have had a lovely time. I think that it's great to finally meet writing buddies in person but sadly the opportunities are so few and far between (yeah, I know...tres cliche).

Michael Solender, Alan Davidson and Laurita Miller strike a pose for the paparazzi

Thanks all for dropping by...I shall post again...at an undisclosed time, on an undisclosed date.

7 comments:

Gigi said...

Oh wow - Dora really has hit rock bottom. I had heard rumors but didn't realize it was that bad.

Happy Birthday!

Laurita said...

Lookit you, back online. And what a return! Celebrity sightings, scandal, dog kisses. This post has it all.

It was so nice meeting Michael and his 'Sweetie'. Such great people.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

OH! Youse guys had MICHAEL! OH!
Don't think I'm not jealous... cause I totally am. *crying piteously* I thought I was the only blogger to mooch off you and Laurita but that Solender dude took my spot??? What, youse guys just let any stranger in off the street?

Now I'm bereft. Might as well be footless and begging for rum on the mean streets of St. Johnny.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

OK, but I need more details. A snapshot and a paragraph do not a full report make! Get busy! Chop-chop!

Michael Solender said...

Ha -I saw Dora - I swear on the streets !! What a great time to meet up with Alan, his lovely wife Virginia and Laurita - great to be an honorary "Newf - if only for a couple of weeks - You guys are the best thanx for being fine hosts and connecting with me and sweetie - stay tuned for the pix. And for another pic - look here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3814105147172&set=a.1532750794739.2069359.1113856061&type=1&theater

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Oh dear that poor Dora!
I'm not sure why she didn't get fixed and dressed up for shoots to shoe she can be?

Alan W. Davidson said...

Gigi- Though I wonder if she's just one of those celebrity attention-seekers like you see on the scandal shows on TV...

Laurita- Yeah, thanks Laurita. Always lots going on here in this 'Have' province...eh?

Cathy- What can I say? People just flock here to see Laurita and myself. I think Michael has the best photos at HIS blog.

Michael- Glad that you had a good time here (and saw a moose). I'm not surprised that you encountered Dora. I think she was mainly targeting American tourists...

Heidrun- I think it was a good thing that my sister intervened to help Dora get 'off the streets'.