Friday, January 25, 2013

Tipping My Hat on the 25th

What kind of a Scotsman am I anyway?

I awoke to the morning show folks on the radio discussing the fact that it was Robert Burns Day and that, of course, leads to the topic of haggis. Or is it 'Haggis' with a capital 'Haitch'?

This yummy visual courtesy of blogs.southernshorenow.ca

As I was saying, the morning show crew surprised me by the announcement that it was Burns Day and one of the guys mentioned that haggis "looks like the kind of thing people ate before they invented food" ...I can't says as I can argue against that.

I was once visiting with my cousin as a boy and we were digging about in the kitchen cupboards, foraging for food, and came across a tin of haggis. I didn't know that haggis was tinned. I thought that it was one of those beasties that was freshly slain in the morning and served up at supper time with a wee dram (or four) of the hard stuff.

Regardless of what you are eating tonight, have a wee toast of your favourite beverage to remember Robert Burns on his 254th birthday. Unless you forget about the day. Like I did.

I will close with a quote that I believe is attributed to the great man...

"There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing".

Well said.

6 comments:

Gigi said...

Seeing as I'm not a Scot - I had to google Robert Burns. Also, how the heck do you can something that looks like that? It'd have to be an awfully large can. Just what is it anyway? Beef? Pork? Big Foot?

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

"Big foot." heheheheh
That is one nasty piece of business, Alan. I think I'll pass on the haggis and just steal a dram of the hard stuff. Only way a person can LOOK at that piece of innards, never mind eat it *shudders*

John Going Gently said...

That is the most disgusting thing I have seen in a long time
( I don't get out much)

Alan W. Davidson said...

Gigi- that particular haggis (heart, lungs and liver minced with oatmeal and onions) is served up the traditional way encased in a sheep's stomach. I'm thinking that the 'tinned' version is slightly smaller but looks no less like dogfood than that image. Yum!

Har! Bigfoot.

Cathy- You drop by and we'll split a bottle of single malt.

John- Thanks for dropping by, though I'm sure you have seen SOME nastiness in your time at some point! Nothing like British cuisine!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I don't do haggis.

Alan W. Davidson said...

You're nae so daft then, eh Gillian?

There's no such beastie available here in Newfoundland. A good meat pie is nearly impossible to find!