- Galore by Michael Crummey
- Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant
- Inside by Kenneth J. Harvey
- February by Lisa Moore
Also in the 'Yay for Newfoundland' category...National Geographic Traveler magazine recently posted their annual scorecard for 99 Coastal Destinations around the world. And guess who came out on top...yep, Newfoundland and Labrador. Specifically right here on the Avalon Peninsula. It managed to edge out the Pembroke Coast of Wales and Tutukaka Coast of New Zealand. So everyone mark the lovely Newfoundland and Labrador coast on your calendars for future holiday destinations (I think I missed my calling as a travel agent).
OK that was the good. Now for the bad and ugly...I think that the warm temps we've had here the past few days has softened some peoples brains *Checks calendar to see if it was a full moon* The CBC has also run a number of stories of bizarre incidents in and around the St. John's area. Feel free to link to the stories for more information. Or not.
- Within a week, three cars were stolen and set on fire in the same park. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with Friday's 'Guy Fawkes Night' --Note: if you don't know what that is, please refer to my #fridayflash story Burning the Guy posted last Friday.
- A Royal Newfoundland constabulary officer pulled over for impaired driving.
- Man arrested for emailing bomb threat to a Grand Falls-Windsor hotel.
- Court case continues for man who bit off part of a bartenders ear in a pub.
- Man sentenced to two years for Conception Bay home invasion.
- Old woman drives car into front of St. John's coffee shop (photo below).
- Young man pleads guilty in home-care beating...this one takes a bit of explanation as the 29 year old man beat and robbed an 89 year old man with the assistance of his 67 year old girlfriend who was the old man's home care worker. I'm sure that the young guy will be on the wrong side of a beating himself when he gets behind the big, grey walls of Her Majesties Penitentiary. Did I say...his 67 year old girlfriend already? It appears love is indeed blind. And perhaps a teensy bit desperate as well...
Umm...but you know, aside from all that insanity...the Avalon Peninsula is still a cool place to live.