Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Awards and Sunny Days

I was all set to come on here and boast about the sunny day and the fact that we on The Rock are one of the few places in North America without snow. The news tonight again showed people golfing at the local golf club here in St. John's.

Did anyone see that news story today noting that 49 of the 50 US states have some measure of snow? My first guess was that the odd state out was Hawaii...I was wrong. Apparently Florida is clear of snow.

Apparently, though, payback is on the way in the form of that storm moving up the east coast towards us. They are forecasting about 20cm of snow...small potatoes (or apples) compared to New York! We can apparently blame it all on La Nina.

Softening the weather setback is this fine award that I received from Cathy Webster at life on the muskoka river.


The Creative Genius Award is the brainchild of #fridayflasher Deanna Schrayer to celebrate International Creativity Month. Many thanks to the talented and creative Cathy for this award that apparently has no strings attached. A pleasant surprise that I don't have to make up 38 more things about myself. Or have to provide you with photo evidence of me juggling flaming bull testicles while riding a unicycle (that I would not do because, quite frankly, I don't own a unicycle).

I shall pass this fine award along to three other creative folk that are kind enough to frequent this blog...

Aaron Polson (check out his newly released Loathsome, Dark and Deep)

Kathryn who always makes me laugh at From the Inside...Out.

John Wiswell, humourist and creative brains behind The Bathroom Monologues.

OK, enough linkage for now...must put on my woollies and waterproof fez and check to see if the snow blower still works.

12 comments:

Jameson T. Caine said...

No unicycle, but you DO own some flaming bull testicles?

Now that I've typed that, I'm realizing that it sounds like some sort of horrific STD.

David Barber said...

A worthy recipient, my friend. Enjoy.

P.s. I'm sick of the snow now. Went on my arse twice today. 6 inches overnight that was totally unexpected but it's just lay on top of the old snow from November that has totally iced up!!! Still, it's looks stunning!

Mark Kerstetter said...

Hawaii has mountains, Florida's flat as a pancake. I've never seen snow here although I've heard it sometimes happens in the panhandle. Congrats on the award!

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Oh! Awesome choices! And it's about time you guys got some snow!

Michael Solender said...

can you grow potatoes in the snow? even small ones would be welcome.

Aaron Polson said...

Thank you for this honor, Alan. I will try to wear it with pride. Or something like pride. ;)

Karen from Mentor said...

*snort* at Jameson ...

And I'd actually like to see the unicycle part...

Alan W. Davidson said...

Jameson- Well, no...I'd order a set on eBay. And a little lighter fluid and 'voila' a set of feiry juggling balls. I see what you mean by the STD thing.

David- Thanks. Yep, you gotta watch out for the old, icy snow lurking beneath the new fresh stuff. Hope that nothing important was damaged in the tumbles.

Mark- Thank you sir. It hadn't occured to me that Florida was so flat (have never been that far south in the US.

Cathy- Yep, we got the snow. My back was hurting even BEFORE I started to shovel!

Michael- I shall channel my inner Irish to see if that can be accomplished in the back garden (after I move the 10" of snow out of the way).

Aaron- That is all we can ask for.

Karen- Yep, funny guy. You can see him in YouTube video on his blog 'Shadow Manor'.

Katey said...

Damn lack of unicycles. It ruins EVERYTHING!

Great linkage :D

Cate Gardner said...

Hawaii had snow!!!

Alan W. Davidson said...

Katey- And I was THIS close to performing that trick for you...blindfolded!!

Cate- Yeah, I bet that's a blow to tourism, at least high up in those mountain regions.

Unknown said...

Hey Alan, congrats on that award buddy boy!!