Saturday, January 30, 2010

Awards Night


It's late Saturday night and what could be more fun than getting dressed up in my tux for the receiving and giving of awards. Note that the Oscar nominations will be announced at 5:30am PT Tuesday. The awards I refer to are not quite so dramatic and, to be honest, the photo was taken on my wedding day over 15 years ago. My hair was a lot longer back then...and the tux was a rental. I may have posted the photo on my blog months ago but honestly can't remember. I know that I have it on FaceBook. Anyway, I've poured myself a wee Glenlivet (a double) and will move on with the show. Please forgive me if I schlerr my words or if I create a few tippos.


On Thursday, the very talented Laura Eno at A Shift in Dimensions with the 'You are my Sunshine Award'. The purpose of it is to acknowledge those that have a blog and spend endless hours ensuring that other bloggers get feedback on their blogs by leaving comments, adding themselves as a follower or dropping by just to let you know there are people out there. It was very kind of Laura to consider me worthy and I thank her very much. There are so many folks that frequent this blog that are quick with humour and a kind word. Two stand out for me that have been commenting here since my first couple of weeks blogging last spring. The award goes to:



KC Shaw at The Knotted Thicket and Natalie L. Sin at Written by Sin.

We now move on to the entertainment for the evening. I am playing a medley of David Hasselhoff songs with hand farts. I'm sorry that you at home can not enjoy it as much as I am.


The second award, the Honest Scrap Award, was presented to me on Thursday as well (suffice it to say that I was giddy with excitement at receiving two different awards on the same day) by Courtney Reese at her blog. Courtney and I are fairly new to each other's blogs but we both recognise the effort and honesty that each other puts into our blogs. Please check hers out, I know that I will continue to do so. Now, the easy part of this award is passing it on to a couple of worthy parties. Drum roll, please *my greyhound is entering the room carrying the envelope in his teeth. I remove said envelope, wipe off drool on sleeve of tux and smooth it out* The Honest Scrap Award goes to:


Katey Taylor at SpecFic and Nonsense and Catherine Gardner at The Poisoned Apple.

The more difficult part of this award is that I have to reveal 10 honest facts about myself. This may be difficult as I've been revealing a lot about myself (perhaps too much some of you may say) on this blog. I'll see if I can come up with some new lies stuff about myself.

  1. I had a rock collection in the 5th grade and expanded to minerals and fossils and aspired to be a geologist. I was fascinated with the subject, but couldn't handle of the other 'stuff' that one needs to take in university to meet the requirements of a science degree.
  2. In 1990-91, I was on a 16 week overland expedition from London to Kathmandu in the back of a Bedford truck with 19 other travellers.
  3. I was once a dog catcher (note: this also includes cats, owls, raccoons, muskrat, a blue heron, a possum and pretty much anything else needed restrained or captured).
  4. I once had to get the rabies series of shots after being bitten my a rabid cat (refer back to item #3). Side note...I used to be terrified by needles, but I'm not too bad now...)
  5. I enjoy live theatre and had season's tickets to the Grand Theatre in London (Ontario) and saw shows in Stratford and Toronto.
  6. Tattoos? No way, as I had always been scared of needles (see item#4).
  7. Quirky movies I could watch 100 times? Hmm, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, A Christmas Story, Fargo, Diner...the list goes on.
  8. I was raised Roman Catholic, but my parents stopped taking us to mass as they grew weary of listening to 5 kids whining about it. I subscribe to no particular religion and think that they all have their merits and drawbacks. I keep an open mind and listen to what they all have to say.
  9. I am probably one of the most patient people that I know. I'm easy-going and some would say 'laid back'. I am quiet by nature and some mistaken this as having nothing to say. This is not true as I will speak my mind if and when the topic warrants it.
  10. I once saw an object floating above a farmer's field at 5:30am driving from home in London to work, at the time, in Aylmer Ontario (no, I hadn't been drinking or any other such thing). I believe that we are not alone in the universe and we would be arrogant to think this small blue island in space is the only one of its kind.

Umm, sorry about #10. Ish probably the single malt talking...Actually, it's a crafty segue into my next post.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gratz Al! Don't let it change you.

Paula RC said...

How lovely to see you all dressed up to hand out your awards, Alan. My, my what a handsome devil you are! No wonder your wife said, oh yes please, I do.. on your wedding day.

And well done to all blogs for winning their awards.

Hi Alan, I've see strange lights in the sky and my sister and I had a policeman witness it too only I don't think any of us was brave enough to go public with it. One day I shall explain what happened on my blog.

Rebecca Nazar said...

Congrats to all. Rabid cat bite, yikes! I've heard the series of shots are very painful. I think you could handle getting a tattoo--a spaceship perhaps? ;) Honesty, your endorphins kick in and it isn't that bad. Plus, you have something to show for the pain. I'll hold your hand too.

Me a bad influence.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Ferris Bueller, Fargo and Christmas Story? You've been raising potatoes on my couch! I've got Danke Schoen on my iPod because Ferris made it cool.
P.S. You have GREAT hair. I think one of the things you should have revealed is what kind of shampoo you use.

Laurita said...

*Standing Ovation*
Congrats on your awards. I especially liked the entertainment segment of the evening. And that is a great picture of you in your tux.

Akasha Savage. said...

Wow...what a dashing young chap you were! :D

Alan W. Davidson said...

Pablo-I will try to keep a level head after receiving all these awards.

Jarmara-Thank you, kindly. Though I prefer a tee-shirt and jeans. I look forward to your account of the stange lights. My short story 'A Chance Encounter' at Static Movement (April, 2009) was sort of based on what I saw.

Becca-Perhaps when I find the right design...and of course you can be there to lend a hand. Agreed, a bad influence indeed.

Cathy-T'was smoke and mirrors and a trip to my hair dresser that morning. Alas, hair is now mostly grey and thinner...but at least it's still there!

Laurita-Thanks for the standing ovation. I have 'Oh Canada' and 'God Save the Queen' mastered and will soon work on 'Ode to Newfoundland'...I've just got to watch I don't offend the audience.

Akasha-Thanks! It's amazing, though, what a good scrubbing and descent clothes will do for a chap.

Laura Eno said...

I love #10! I believe that as well. The yellow rainboots made me think of that rain hat you posted on your blog a while back. :)
Congrats to everyone!

Danielle Birch said...

Looking very dapper.

Katey said...

Aww, that's so kind of you! I think I can be honest for a whole post-- no wait I'm always a little too honest, aren't I?

Love the wedding photo-- the hair looks rad. I always tell my husband he should wear his just like that, but he insists on this jar-head cut. Le sigh.

Also, I think you're right, it'd be arrogant to assume we're alone. "Believe" is a strong word for me and I dunno if I can go there, but that's definitely one of the reasons I love sci fi. The possibility can't be ignored!

Kat said...

Congrats Alan! Did you ever see a movie called Batteries Not Included? Your photo reminds me of the artist guy in that movie...can't remember his name...you do clean up well, lol.

DEZMOND said...

congrats on the awards, I see you outshined all the stars at the red carpet ;)

Alan W. Davidson said...

Laura- I hope more folks believe in #10...and I wouldn't be caught in that rain hat outside. It's some cliched, stereotypical thing that they were giving away at a convention my wife was at a couple of years ago.

Nat-You're always a winner.

Danielle- Thank you kindly.

Katey-Har! Jar head haircut made me laugh (I know, I shouldn't...) We watched the X-Files movie the other night and were disappointed that there was no alien action. Remember 'the truth is out there'.

Kat-I remember the movie, but not the guy. It took a team of dressers and salon people to get me looking like that. Wearing a tux sucks in the middle of July.

Dez-Thank you, sir!

Cate Gardner said...

First off thank you :D, second, I love Ferris.