Monday, February 22, 2010

Olympics and Pole Dancing?

I'll start off by saying that I was officially in mourning today after the shocking loss to the US in men's hockey last night. Canada had way more shots, but the US certainly made theirs count. Moving on to happier things...

I couldn't let this go when I read it this morning. Yahoo news ran a story by Associated Press writer Eric Talmadge about a woman in Japan who is a world champion in pole dancing and would like to see it recognized, on day, as an Olympic sport! You can link to the full story here. The gist of it is that they must first be recognized by the IOC as a sport prior to getting permission to participate in a future Olympics as a demonstration sport. I've got to tell you, the viewership for those events would be way up. At least for the male demographics. And where does that lead us? Will there be a male pole dancing category? Perhaps couples as in ice skating? My mind is wandering at the possibilities here...


I must admit that when I first read the byline (not wearing my glasses) I thought the story said "Poe Dancing" and I of course had to include the picture I ripped from Aaron Polson's blog. I look at it once in a while for a laugh (but how often is too often, you may ask?)
Speaking of Mr. Polson, he provides a link today on his blog to a podcast of his short story "The Sub-Basement." I must admit I loved this one when I read this when published at EDF in January 2009 (prior to joining the Aaron Polson fan club, I might add). Do yourself a favour and listen to his smooth delivery of his scary little tale.

20 comments:

BT said...

In Australia we have a cable TV channel called Aurora which allows anyone with the money and a camera the chance to host their own show. Two such individuals came up with Bloke's World a few years ago and since the last summer olympics they've been trying to gather names on a petition to include pole dancing as a recognised sport.

Seems it's gathering momentum. I'm not shy - I'd watch!

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

A radio station in Trawna had a whole hour devoted to people yammering about what constitutes a "real" Olympic sport: apparently these Olympic-conservatives see skiing and curling as real sports, but not snowboarding or anything that could possibly involve marijuana.
I'd be curious to see what side of the pole they fall on this issue.

Aaron Polson said...

Hey...ice dancing is a sport, right? Right?

I'm glad to see Mr. Poe get some mileage.

Katey said...

Hehehehe the Poe dancing makes me giggle uncontrollably. Oh Olympic controversy, you're what we live for (at least, while the games are on.)

Fox Lee said...

Male pole dancing?? Go future Olympics!

Anonymous said...

Meh. Just add a pole to the gymnastics to go with the horse, rings and floor. There are a number of reasonably non-salacious pole-dancing contests each year (and a lot of pretty salacious ones too) and the athleticism is undeniable.

Am I treating this story way more seriously than I should? I think not.

Rebecca Nazar said...

Sorry, I can't be enthusiastic about pole dancing, Poe dancing on the other hand . . .

Laurita said...

Poe dancing..heh heh.
Ahem, pole dancing an olympic sport? I don't know. I know a few folks who argue that bobsledding should not be an olympic sport. It sure would be hard to make the argument for pole dancing.

Laura Eno said...

Love the Poe dancing pic!

DEZMOND said...

I wonder whether those Olympic pole dancers would be considered as national heroes in their countries like other sport stars, and imagine the national colours and flags on such costumes? :)

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for all of the interesting responses to the pole dancing dilemmma. Quite a range of bewilderment and enthusiastic acceptance! As Dez pointed out, the national colours of the 'uniforms' would be interesting...and what of the patriotic tattoos!

Jameson T. Caine said...

I'm already cringing at the potential injuries for male pole dancers. Ouch.

Alan W. Davidson said...

I'm thinking that it will be I while before you can sign up for that with your bum shoulder, Mr. Caine. Welcome back.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

OLD, Alan? Old? Did I hear that right?

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Oh. Crap.
So, I just went to your profile, hoping you had your age posted because SURELY, with all that white hair, I figured you'd be OLDER than me.
heh.
You're only ... heh.. 47... heh...
I guess you're right. I AM old.
Sigh.
(Also noticed you're a Libra... you better not have the same birthday as me....)

Alan W. Davidson said...

Old looking as a genetic thing on my dad's side of the family. He's 68, and looked that old at 48...three years ago I had a guy ask me if I move to St. John's to retire...sigh. I've gotten used to the grey. I found my first grey hair at 19. Been downhill ever since. I'm just glad that I still have hair to complain about!

I'm a September Libra. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

Paula RC said...

Hi Alan, as always you share the most interesting things with us.... Poe dancing sounds far more interesting to me than pole dancing.

Oh and BTW please stop by mine and pick up your award.
J

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks, Jarmara. Perhaps Britain would excell in this 'competition' at a future Summer Olympics?

Wes said...

I know this post is old but the Poe Dancing image is from our website. It's a t-shirt my wife came up with. It at www.tatteredstar.com

Alan W. Davidson said...

Hey Wes, I'm not sure if you are checking back to see if I commented... but thanks for identifying the source of the photo. I'll do another post featuring this photo and link back to your website.