Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lost on the Rock 2011 Contest Winners


I suppose we have waited long enough to announce the winners for the Lost on the Rock 2011 flash fiction contest. We have stalled so long that even I am dying of suspense. I know that everyone is giddy with excitement. It's as if it was Christmas morning...or something like that.

As I noted in my last post, the competition was tight and Laurita and I wish we could put ALL of the stories up here this week. Alas, there can be only four (and two honourable mentions). I should note that the top four represent three different continents. This Internet thingy is really something.

Without further ado, the winners are...(Drum roll, please):

  • 1st place is "Keeners", by Angel Zapata
  • 2nd place is "Lost", by Denise Covey
  • 3rd place is "Oubliette", by Susan Harding
  • 4th place is "Where is Esther?", by Mike Jackson
  • Honourable mentions go to "Simply Lost", by John Wiswell and "Numbers", by Gerard Smith.

Many thanks to everyone who entered. A thousand blessings to you all and those who live in your tent. I'd also like to thank my writing buddy Laurita Miller for co-hosting this contest. Sharing a contest can be something of a challenge but it's well worth the pay off. A shout out to the lovely 'V' who acted as intake secretary and official bartender for the contest, allowing us to judge the contest 'blindly'. I hope you enjoy the line up of stories and interviews Laurita and I will present this week. Here is the schedule of what will appear here at Conversations From Land's Edge:

Monday-      Interview with contest winner, writer Angel Zapata
Tuesday-      Presenting 2nd place story "Lost", by Denise Covey
Wednesday- Presenting 3rd place story "Oubliette", by Susan Harding
Thursday-     Interview with 4th place writer Mike Jackson
Friday-         Presenting Honourable mention story "Numbers", by Gerard Smith


Over at Laurita Miller's blog, Calling Shotgun, you will pretty much find the opposite arrangement:

Monday-      Presenting contest winning story "Keeners", by Angel Zapata
Tuesday-      Interview with writer Denise Covey
Wednesday- Interview with writer Susan Harding
Thursday-    Presenting 4th place story "Where is Esther?", by Mike Jackson
Friday-        Presenting Honourable mention story "Simply Lost", by John Wiswell

14 comments:

Denise Covey said...

Congratulations to all the place getters and to all those who entered their stories. I am honoured to be placed second in such auspicious company. Thank you Alan and Laurita for providing an opportunity for us to share our stories. I'm so looking forward to reading them all!

Denise<3

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I can hardly wait to see the winning stories! Congratulations, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Angel, and everyone who placed! I can't wait to read the stories to finally know the thrill Alan and Laurita had.

Thanks again for hosting this fun contest you two!

David Barber said...

Congrats to all winners. Looking forward to reading stories and interviews. Well done to the judges for doing this again. I have a contest brewing inside my head at the moment so I will keep you all posted. Great job, Alan!

Paula RC said...

Well done everybody! I look forward to reading the winning stories.

SueH said...

Thanks, Alan - I'm stoked that my entry was deemed worthy of third prize! :-)

I'm looking forward to reading all the stories and interviews this coming week.

Grateful thanks to you, Laurita, the amazing V, and all those otherwise involved in this contest! :-x

Michael Solender said...

congrats to all..

Lou Freshwater said...

Really looking forward to some great reading! Nice going everyone.

John Xero said...

Congratulations, all. =)

Looking forward to reading the winning stories. =)

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thank you, all, for the comments. Much appreciated. And if you get a contest up and running, David, you can count me in!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Sue and the others :)

Mari said...

Congratulations all! Can't wait to read these stories!

Danielle Birch said...

And by the end, my goal is to leave you happily sucking on the bones...

What more could you want :) A great interview.

Katey said...

Congratulations to all the winners!