Sunday, June 5, 2011

Things in Glossy Wrappers

Did another week fly by already? Has anyone noticed that the older you get the faster time flies by? Kind of a logarithmic equation, for those of you math inclined.

If time is going to whiz by, I wish it would do it with summer-like temps. We’ve been trapped in the fog today at Land's Edge. Not raining, but damp and only 10C (50F or so). Too wet to mow the lawn. He, he, he…that’s a shame.

All week I’ve waited by my mailbox for a very special delivery. One day I heard the lid on the small, wooden box slam shut and I leaped to the door only to find my copy of Cat Fancy* magazine. You know the issue…the one with the sexy Persian on the cover (Did I just say that out loud? I only meant to think it).

The next day I heard the mailbox and sprang into action. Alas, it was only the current issue of Scenthouse magazine. Glossy pages aplenty--all with fine articles and stunning photography. The wafting aroma of lavender from the centerfold was especially titillating to the olfactory system.


Notice my devil eye.
Finally, on Friday, the package I had been waiting for all week had arrived. It had come to The Rock from eastern Tennessee, therefore I figured that the box probably didn’t contain Jack Daniels*. Inside was Leather, Denim & Silver~ Legends of the Monster Hunter (edited by Miles Boothe). I won this Pill Hill Press anthology in a contest held by my online buddy KC Shaw of The Knotted Thicket. Sure, I wanted to win the anthology so I could read her story “Antler and Eye,” but I was really gunning for the additional prize…the Underwood Deviled Ham* stamp that she had especially made up years ago. Wicked cool! Many thanks, Kate. I really appreciate the anthology and demonic logo.

The first thing I did was try to stamp my fez, but ‘V’ smacked me before I could sully the treasured hat. I made do with stamping my arm. That's the closest thing I’ve had to a tattoo since the second grade when Wendell stenciled the Hot Wheels* logo on my forehead. Well, there was the time in the third grade that I tried to stencil that Empire State Building on my…
Ignore the fact I bite my nails

*Inevitable Disclaimer~The author of this blog is not intentionally endorsing the products: Jack Daniels, Underwood Deviled Ham, Hot Wheels or the lovely Cat Fancy Magazine. However, he IS open to receiving free schtuff. From anyone, anywhere...

10 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Wicked cool, indeed! V smacked you, eh? (Why does that make me grin?) Congrats on your prize and happy stamping!

K.C. Shaw said...

You know, even back when I collected rubber stamps, I never stamped my arms or hands. Either there's something wrong with the way I think, or it's just a guy thing to stamp yourself. :) I'm glad you like it!

The stamp goes well with your magnificent fez.

Denise Covey said...

Sexy Persian huh? Sounds like you got you some great reading matter.

Denise<3

Katey said...

That is pretty much the coolest stamp EVER. Niiiiiiice :D

Cate Gardner said...

Wicked cool stamp. :D

Kat said...

Lmao! No comment...just giggles.

:D

Laurita said...

Oh, Alan. This post had me in absolute stitches. Congrats on your prize. Now step away from the Cat Fancy magazine and find something to stamp.

Unknown said...

Feel free to stop by any time my man cave for the Jack... In your case, GENTLEMAN JACK ...

John Wiswell said...

I am not at all surprised that you might read Cat Fancy.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Cathy- Thanks! I put that part in there about V 'smacking me' just for you.

KC- Umm...you're probably right--it's stamping one's self is probably a guy thing. Thanks again for that toy, Kate (and the anthology, of course!).

Denise- I enjoy the publication the most while sipping a scotch in my dimly-lit man cave.

Katey- I agree.

Cate- Agree with you too. Perhaps I should offer it as a contest prize down the road...

Kat- I like to think that I'm always good for a laugh.

Laurita- I'm sure that 'V' will pry the mag from my fingers to ensure some work gets down around here.

Ant- Agreed, Gentleman Jack works equally as well. If not more...I'll keep the offer in mind should I find myself in the Big Apple (or Jersey).

John- LOL at the Cat Fancy comment. What gave it away...wearing the fez, or my use of the word 'lavender'?