Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Movie Meme

The movie questions were courtesy of KV Taylor. It's a perfect morning to work on these as I'm a big video-phile (is that a word?) and the fog's still on top of us like a big, damp blanket. There's a crap-load of questions and a possibility of multiple answers per question so I may end up making up answers by the time I reach the end...perhaps I should have done this last night with a couple of rum 'n cokes in me...

1.Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times. Don't think I've seen anything that many times, but Ferris Bueller's Day Off is way up there. We saw Lord of the Rings at the movies and a couple of times on our box set as well. Also Highlander, Fargo, The Hunt for Red October and A Christmas Story are way up there (my son is obsessed with our James Bond box set and I've seen some of them multiple times as well...).






2.Name a movie that you’ve seen multiple times in the theater. Being Scottish, I have a hard time to part with cash to see something more than once...I broke that rule recently to see the new Star Wars Movie a second time. I probably would see some twice, but there's so many options out there with a limited movie budget...if only I could give up the single malt to have the extra movie money *sighs*.

3.Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie. As a kid, I was a big Sean Connery fan and always make it to his movies. Now if Johnny Depp is involved I usually go see whatever he's in (pretty much captured my attention since Sleepy Hollow).

4.Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie. David Spade always annoys me as did the late Chris Farley. You can add Tim Allen and any of the Wayans brothers to the list as well. Hmm, Paris Hilton (if you want to call her an 'actor').

5.Name a movie that you can and do quote from. I'm hopeless at remembering and telling jokes so remembering movie lines is just as bad. Dirty Harry comes to mind, "Well, do you feel lucky, punk? Ask yourself, was it 6 shots or just 5?" (I probably messed that up). Also from LOTR "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."








6.Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs. I tend not to do musicals, but have made exceptions over the years. The songs that have stuck with me the most have been from Grease as I've seen the movie a couple of times and saw the play done twice on stage (once a high school production our school did). The Phantom of the Opera songs have stuck with me as well...yeah, they sound cool when I sing 'em in the shower...

7.Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with. Hmm...my lack of musical prowess is noted in #6. If I were to sing along with something, it would be from the Rocky Horror Picture Show (but y'all had better where ear plugs as I'm pretty tone deaf!)

8.Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see. I love the big, inspirational Oscar winners such as Gandhi and Chariots of Fire.

9.Name a movie that you own. The aforementioned Bond and LOTR box sets, Pirates of the Caribbean, and a bunch of questionable stuff gotten from Walmart at $5 a pop.

10.Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops. Hmm...I think Tom Hanks started as a stand-up comic and always impresses me. Kris Kristofferson impresses as well.

11.Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what? There's no drive-in movies here, but I had one in London for my 20years living there. I think I saw one of the Alien movies there (shh! What's that noise coming from under the car...)

12.Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it. We wanted to see The Soloist but it left the theatres so fast we didn't get a chance. Thank God for video rentals.

13.Ever walked out of a movie? Not that I recall. I research a bit before going (as noted, the Scottish in me doesn't want to piss away my money...) at Rotten Tomatoes. Also, as I do with people, I try to give the benefit of the doubt and sit through 'til the end in hopes of s0mething to redeem the questionable movie.

14.Name a movie that made you cry in the theater. Guys don't cry at the movies, they get something in their eye...the one I recall that put a lump in my throat was LOTR: The Return of the King.

15.What’s the last movie you saw in the theater? The taking of Pelham 1 2 3. Travolta was a pretty bad-ass dude in that. We were going to The Proposal last night (waiting until my son is around to take him to Harry Potter) but it was sold out.

16.What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie? It's hard to put a label on anything. I don't like westerns, but I loved Pale Rider and Unforgiven. All of the genres have something to offer (but horror movies are the coolest).

17.What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater? That's tough, I can't even remember what I had for dinner yesterday...and high school is a blur. My cousin and I used to go see the Roger Moore version of Bond in the theatres. I remember my dad 'signing me in' to see the restricted Rollerball when it was released (1975).


18.What movie do you wish you had never seen? The Sound of Thunder was a wonderful concept of time travel, but the script and special effects sucked. Sir Ben Kingsley must have been desperate for the pay cheque from that one.

19.What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed? Edward Scissorhands was pretty weird. I would have to say Rocky Horror Picture Show was top of the list. I went in 1980 in a run-down theatre in Victoria where you could get away with the audience participation stuff. Nothing like toast and rice flying about at the movies!

20.What is the scariest movie you’ve seen? I recall getting the shit scared out of me seeing Jaws in the movies as a 14year old. As I mentioned at another blog this week, The Legend of Hell House could teach the slasher movies a thing or two about creepy atmosphere.

21.What is the funniest movie you’ve seen? Ferris Bueller is way up on the list as well as Spinal Tap. Umm...Meet the Parents; Planes, Trains & Automobiles ("those aren't pillows!").

10 comments:

Katey said...

Man, I love the crowd participation Rocky Horror theaters. There was one when I was in grad school in Columbus that did it ever Friday night, and my undergrad school changed one of the biggest lecture auditoriums into a movie theater on weekends and showed cheap films for us-- when they did it there on Halloween we'd all dress up and bring our toast and TP. Good times!

I can't believe I didn't mention Spinal Tap. That is one of my all time favorites. Golly, you're right, just way too many options.

I'm glad you decided to do it. Peoples' taste in this kind of thing tells a lot about them. Though I'd be hard pressed to say what mine says about me (I don't want to know, either), yours is awesome.

Katey said...

PS: I bawled at RotK too. Any time a Hobbit looks sad, I lose my shit. I can't help it. (Except Frodo, who is Emo Hobbit anyhow.)

Cate Gardner said...

Ah! Ferris. You either wanted to be him or have a boyfriend just like him. Those were the days.

Jameson T. Caine said...

I remember that my mom would not allow me to watch "The Legend of Hell House" when it aired on TV in the late 70's and early 80's. For years I had this image in my mind of a film that was just flat out terrifying. Naturally, when I finally saw it, it did not live up to the image I had created. Still a creepy flick!

Check out this page for it:

http://www.bmoviegraveyard.com/reviews/L/LegendOfHellHouse/

Fox Lee said...

Ah, we agree on musicals. That said, I would not be adverse to writing an ACTUAL musical for RELENTLESS SODOMY if someone threw enough money at me.

K.C. Shaw said...

I see movies at the theater all the time. I'm always amazed at people (like some of my coworkers) who say the last movie they saw in the theater was Titanic or something like that. I saw the new Harry Potter twice this weekend, as a matter of fact.

I caught Ferris Beuler on TV a few months ago and it still holds up as an excellent movie. It makes me all nostalgic now too. I was so totally like Ferris's sister in that movie--my brother could get away with anything in high school, but not me. I love the line "I could be bleeding from the EYES and still have to go to school."

Alan W. Davidson said...

Katey - Wish my college had done the Rocky Horror dress up. I went as myself and seem to recall finding grains of rice in the oddest places for the next week...this was fun, glad that you started this one up! And as far as peoples taste: To each their own (if I may be allowed a cliche).

Cate - Yeah, wish I could have been more like Ferris in school, but I was too shy.

Jameson - I guess that being denied something make you want it all the more. I think that's in the parent rule book somewhere. And thanks for the link, I skimmed it. A review with a sense of humour.

Natalie - Perhaps we could all work on the musical together, maybe you could give George Takei a ring to see if he's available.

KC - Life would be bleak without the movies. Some shows have got to be seen on the big screen.
We'll take the boy to see Harry Potter next weekend. Ha! Bleeding eyes, loved that line! Ferris's sister. I figure that I was like Charlie Sheen's character in the police station. But I once threw up on my leather jacket. And then I gave it away to an old girlfriend...*sigh* the good old days.

Aaron Polson said...

Man...so many great films. I could put half of those on my list.

Maybe not Rollerball.

But Ferris...yes!

Rebecca Nazar said...

I loved participating in Rocky Horror Picture Show--messy, transvestite-y fun. Gotta do it at least once.

謝明博馬陰人放購ˇ屁ㄉ人不董識貨ㄉ人精打細算ㄉ人霖宏百里緒恩駛溟含凾信攔醬油邱科信彰柏宏與簽纏t06單耳耽溺娟謝政道QKPb戲曲學院部大汐布袋戲model mode台北不婚獨子女 臺獨 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.