Thursday, April 8, 2010

Oddness in the News

Breaking from my work once in a while (only during the appointed times, of course) I will navigate to the news headlines to see what disaster has fallen upon civilization. My brain is still somewhat in holiday mode and I was distracted by a couple of stories that caught my eye...

  • Airline considers fee for lavatory use...Yep, sort of speaks for itself but click on the link for the CNN story. Maybe it's just my but does it seem that budget airlines are taking the 'cost saving cuts' a bit too far. We've got the paying for check-in luggage (we were charged $60 US for our three bags to go from here to Newark. Each way.) The removing of a meal and entertainment on shorter flights (ours was a three hour flight with only one flight attendant, no movie and only a cold snack). Now the possibility looms of charging for carry-on and the use of the toilets. Sounds like a sh***y situation to me.

  • Women try to smuggle dead man on plane...Do read the link carefully. It wasn't Liverpool women who tried to do this, it only occurred there. The first thought that popped into my head was "Weekend at Bernie's". One would think that passing off the dead as living a bit rare, but apparently not as much as you would think...check out this story about a couple of 'characters' trying to pass off their dead friend as living in order to cash his social security cheque. Ha! Who needs fiction when we've got real life to keep us amused.

A quick shout out to Cathy Olliffe at Life on the Muskoka River who, a few days ago, bestowed upon me the Happy 101 award. As bizarre is it sounds, I'll give this one a bit of thought before posting as it doesn't pop into my head right off what makes me happy.

I know, it's a lot of links and video to take in at one time. Take you time. You've got all day.

Bye for now,

Hugs a Kisses,

Mr. Grumpy Pants.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd pay for airplane toilets if they'd make it like a WWII bombing run and I could pick my target...


Hmm, shades of Cathy's story from t'other day.

Kat said...

Why so grumpy, Alan? With news that bizarre tis better to chuckle. Buck up man!

Here this round's on me, There's one for you, too, Mr.Gully. ;p

Fox Lee said...

Tell people to pay for the toilet, and you're going to get a guy pissing in the seat just to spite you.

kathryn said...

Okay. Seriously??

That news story on the women smuggling the dead guy onto the plane? "Failing to give notification of death"....I hate it when I get arrested for this. And they didn't even tell us WHY.

As for being charged for peeing? So not cool...it's the power of suggestion. Now I've gotta pee...

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Mr. Grumpy Pants.
Heh.
That's what I call Dave sometimes.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Anton- You may be onto something there, Mr. Gully. If only the CEO's frequented my blog. I too would cough up 25 cents (or 10P) for the right to drop a personal bomb. Does it make a difference that it was Ryanair and most targets would be around Dublin?

Kat- Thanks for the brew. You're a good gal.

Nat- You are correct. The world is full of guys behaving like dicks.

Kathryn- Oh my, how often have you been arrested for that? Do enlighten us...

Cathy- The nickname of all great men.

Cate Gardner said...

I imagine strange things happen at Liverpool airport all the time. ;)

Karen from Mentor said...

Mr Grumpy pants.
Are you wearing your Angry Eyes?

[gives you a {hug} to make it better]