Sunday, June 14, 2009

Jumpin' on the Doggie Bandwagon


I'm sitting here scratching my head about what to post. I have a bunch of yardwork that has been neglected and I'll be getting to that (sort of). I have always been one to look to others, at times, for inspiration. At Lacuna ex Obscurum, Jameson T. Caine had a nice post yesterday in tribute to his dogs, a pair of Pembroke Welsh Corgis, who were his inspiration for a recent short horror story at Everyday Weirdness.


I therefore feel that I should send a shout out to our 3 year old greyhound called Jet (formerly known as Sharpshooter). He's a large, quiet creature that can run like stink for short bursts and then sleeps for the rest of the day. There are a number of resued greyhounds here that come to the island (by plane) from the group GPAC in Halifax. They are brought to eastern Canada for adoption from kennels involved in racing in the New England states.


I haven't written a story about Jet, but I have put together notes for a horror story about greyhounds in gereral (it presently sits neglected in my "Idea File"). The top photo is of Jet and I along the southern shore in May 2008 when about 14 icebergs drifted into the bay. The middle shot is myself, Jet and our friend's brindle greyhound called Matt.



The bottom picture is of Jet striking a pose, shortly after we adopted him last April. You will notice how lush and green the lawn appears...not any more. These dogs love to run short laps around the yard and the sod flies! Anyhow, I've babbled on enough for now about the dog. And if I may sound a bit like Bob Barker for a moment. I was once an animal control officer (ie. dog catcher) and I always encourage those interested in getting a dog to pick one up from the local animal shelter, pound or SPCA. That is my PSA for today folks!

5 comments:

Jameson T. Caine said...

What a gorgeous animal. Dogs rule!

Fox Lee said...

What a handsome fellow! My godfather has greyhounds : )

Anonymous said...

"but I have put together notes for a horror story about greyhounds in general "

I've definitely heard a few horror stories about greyhound TRAINERS in my day.

I just love that throwaway comment about the icebergs. Jeeze, if we get hail-stones here it's talked about for a week.

K.C. Shaw said...

Your dogs look like awesome guys! Happy too, which is even better.

I got my Newfoundland Jasper (who died last fall after twelve glorious years) through Newf rescue. Rescue groups and shelters do such an amazing, unsung job.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for the comments, folks.

KC - I didn't know that there was such a thing as a Newfoundland rescue group. I just visited their site. Sorry to hear about Jasper.