Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Living Under the Tower

I should tell you, faithful reader (and you know who you are) that it was just today that I realised the danger I have been living with. The bedside table has always been a spot to toss the loose paper money and coppers but now there doesn't seem room for even that (not that I've got much cash to put there). The usual clutter: table lamp, telephone, box of tissues, old clock radio, new clock radio from Christmas that I still don't know how to set is now displaced by two stacks of books. Yes reader, I know that you're curious, so I will subject you to the dreaded list.
  • Random Passage by Bernice Morgan (local)
  • When Bells Toll in the North by Freeman Cull (local)
  • The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
  • This is Not a Book--Adventures in Popular Philosophy
  • Race to Mars (coffee table book)
  • Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
  • How to See Yourself as you Really Are by the Dalai Lama
  • Present at the future (controversial conversations on science and nature)
  • The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank by Erma Bombeck
  • Blindness by Jose Saramago
  • Mothership by John Brosnan (sci-fi, not parenting...)
  • Black Order by James Rollins
  • Privileged Information by Stephen White
  • The Hope Valley Hubcap King by Sean Murphy (quirky with Zen flavour)
  • The Barnum Museum by Steve Millhauser (short story collection)
  • Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs (short stories)

And of course on top of the stack are my reading glasses in their case and a note pad in case I get blessed with a story idea (or a weird dream) in the middle of the night. In all the pile is now tall and tilting and at risk of crushing my head as I lay sleeping in bed. I should check my insurance policy as it may be of a quantity that my wife may accidentally bump the night stand with her hip as I sleep...sweet dreams all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Living Under The Tower" - nice analogy!

By comparison the pile of books by my bed is mostly SF&F classics, with the exception of Henry Rollins collected early work and "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond.

By the way, I tend to write my blog as if the whole world is reading, which it obviously should be. To hell with modesty.

Alan W. Davidson said...

The whole world...well said!

Carrie Harris said...

This is why I put my to be read stack on the floor next to the bed. :)

Cate Gardner said...

But what a way to go. :)

Anonymous said...

If I had to die in bed from something landing on top of me, I don't think I'd want it to be a stack of books.