Sunday, June 7, 2009

Validation and Procrastination

Yes, those are big words. I am fairly new to the writing world and have learned, and am learning, good things from the blogs of others. There have been a couple of blogs recently about procrastination. I know that all writers have bouts with this. However, I have turned it into an art form. A way of life. Two years ago I became obsessed with a story idea that wouldn't let me alone. I started jotting down notes on paper and tucking them away. Actually writing something proper is another matter. I forced myself to sort the notes and odd scenes into a first chapter. Finally, though, I decided that it would involve too much research (set in the future) and I've tucked it away to focus on short stories. I now have five short stories in various stages of completion waiting for my attention...


One story, Targeting Hunger and Blue Balloons, is very close to completion and only needs a final edit. It's been sitting on my desk for days, shouting out to me for attention as would an ignored child. Such was my avoidance yesterday that I actually went outside and scraped down two sides of our shed in preparation of painting (it seems to have been painted last when Newfoundland was an independent nation and old Queen Vic reigned over the lands).


I blame a bit of my avoidance, I think, on awaiting the fate of another story sent to Every Day Fiction just over two months ago. I have been following EDF for a few months and it seems to be one of the more reputable online publications for people to showcase their work. I would like to send this new story there as well, but I want to know the outcome of the other story first. I guess that it's a validation sort of thing. If I know that my story is acceptable to the folks there, I'll be able to move along and complete the rest of the stories in backlog. Of course that's silly and isn't a practical way for a writer to be, but I suppose that I've got a lot more to learn about this business. Guess that I'll be keeping my day job for a while.


Any how, there is a lot of rain forecast today and I can't use any form of yardwork as an excuse not to finish this story (it's winking at me right now). I shall buckle down and get to work...or perhaps the laundry will get done. And the carpets do need vaccuumed...

3 comments:

Fox Lee said...

And don't forget: while writing, there is never a bad time to stop and find something to eat.

Anonymous said...

http://writingallsorts.blogspot.com/2009/06/step-away-from-novel.html

Not sure if you follow Amanda's blog but it was ANOTHER procrastination post.

I think there's a whole other science to submitting stories. No point putting all your eggs in one basket. EDF is a quality site and they need 365 stories a year, but now there's a lot of attention on them and the slush pile appears to be drowning them. Last time I looked EDF was paying 3 bucks, and a lot of other ezines don't even pay.

If EDF haven't gotten back to you about your original submissions, send the new story somewhere else, and get on with finishing the next one.

Anonymous said...

I sort of lost my point there. Ezines aren't going to make you rich, so to an extent does it matter who publishes you, so long as someone does? EDF has 365 stories a year - that's a tough crowd to get lost in.

This is part of the reason, as I told you, that I've no current interest in submitting anything. Too distracting.