Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Odds and Ends and NaNo

Just a quick post to bring up some random issues.


  • A reminder to everyone that I am still looking for questions to pass on to Kelley Armstrong (see previous post). You've got until the end of the day tomorrow in your time zone to get questions to me at awdavidson.nl@gmail.com. Every question is greatly appreciated folks (at the moment, including my own question, I have two....

  • I have finally considered myself 'certified' insane and signed myself up for the 2009 installment for NaNoWriMo. I am a NaNo virgin and will need a lot of prodding and a friendly shoulder to cry on. Seriously. I mean it. I need all the friends I can get, so if you want to buddy me you can find me here.

  • Katey Taylor had a great post last week about Banned Books week, with links to the Most Challenged list for last year and Frequently Challenged or Banned Classics. You can link to her blog here. This is, of course, a debate that has been society for almost as long as there have been books in print. It's by no means just a problem in the US. Please link to an article I read yesterday at Canoe.ca about the Toronto District School Board considering removing "To Kill a Mockingbird" from its system because of a complaint from a single parent. Wow! I wish that I weilded that sort of power *sighs and shakes head*.

12 comments:

Katey said...

Ooh an old favorite on the list! I'm shaking my head and clucking my tongue in dismay, let me tell you, Alan.

Yay for Nano though-- I'm glad you're joining the madness. This is me!

Fox Lee said...

ONE parent got a book banned? That is a dangerous precedent : P

Stef Howerton said...

Ah, NaNo! We'll be NaNo virgins together. :) It's going to be great, don't worry. :)

Cate Gardner said...

I have a feeling, I'm going to be a very lonely girl in November when everyone is doing NaNo.

Anonymous said...

I'm here if anyone wants to buddy up!

Aaron Polson said...

Wow. TKAM got banned? I think every public school in the U.S. requires that book. What offended said parent, quality literature?

Laura Eno said...

This will be my first year for NaNo too!

Anonymous said...

Aaron - it isn't banned, it's up for review. Highly doubt it'll be banned, but if a parent complains they have to go through the process.

Never read it personally, but it appears to be the use of the "N" word that's contentious.

Rebecca Nazar said...

I'm giving NaNoWriMo a shot this year too. *shudder*

Elspeth Futcher said...

My admiration for attempting NaNo. The very thought makes me shudder with apprehension. As for the TKAM situation; this is just dumb. By the same token, does Gone With The Wind come off the shelves? The books are mirrors of their times. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Elspeth

Danielle Birch said...

It's my first NaNo too. Looking forward to it.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Katey & Natalie-It's amazing the amount of damage a vocal minority can do to every one's rights.

Stef-Let me know how you're listed at NaNo, we can buddy up!

Anton-found you, sir. And you're probably right about the use of the 'N' word being the reason they are considering banning the book.

Becca-Click on me and buddy up!

Elspeth-You're right...there are lots of books that depict shady times in everyones history, let's ban them all! I've got a few people I don't like, I just lobby to have their books banned.

Danielle-Good luck. We can monitor each others output.