Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chicago's Cauldron of Blood

After all the American talk of the past few days, I have to slip back into my Canadian clothing...ah, that's better. Stylishly conservative. I am compelled talk of hockey once more before the end of the season.

I wasn't planning on posting anything today but I ran across a story this morning by Greg "Puck Daddy" Wyshynski at Yahoo! sports about the fountain in front of Daley Plaza in Chicago. Apparently dye was added to the fountain a couple of weeks ago to honour the Blackhawks and their push towards the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately the water ended up a hot pink colour...the second attempt yielded better results, the water being described as a 'cauldron of blood'. How's that, you horror writers! Click on this link to read the full story.


For the record, I have no allegiance to either Chicago or Philadelphia. But I'm leaning towards Chicago in support of centre Dave Bolland, formerly of the London Knights back in juniors. I had the pleasure of meeting him once when my dad and I volunteered as drivers for the Memorial Cup (Canadian junior championships) hosted by London in 2005. I got to drive him and Dylan Hunter (son of Washington Capitol's great Dale Hunter) to the arena for their final game against the Rimouski Oceanic (led by the now famous Sidney Crosby). So...Go Hawks!

13 comments:

Elspeth Futcher said...

Oh dear, that's unfortunate. Pardon me while I giggle. Chicago knocked off my Canucks. Ewww...is that Canuck blood? Nasty.

Fox Lee said...

So that's where they sacrifice the virgins?

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

That's just gross.
Talking bout hockey, that is.
The red water is pretty.

K.C. Shaw said...

But is the blood--er, water--boiling hot too? Because it looks like it should be.

Creepy.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Looks like Kool-Aid to me. Kinda makes me want to dive in after the heat today.

John Wiswell said...

Looks more like a fountain of cherry jell-o to me. Delicious.

Unknown said...

What's hockey? Is that a sport?

Kidding... Aside from boxing, I've never been much of the sportsman. I did see the Stanley Cup tho... The Jersey Devils used to hang in my bar and I used to see them all the time since they practiced here in my town. Talked to a few of them as well.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Elspeth- Yep, the Canucks contributed their fair share to the fountain of blood. Better luck next year.

Natalie- Ummm...good question. Who knows what goes on there in the dark.

Cathy- That seems to be the consensus. I wonder if it was so cool when it was hot pink?

KC- I think that effect is from the fountain...though boiling really adds to the imagery...

Jameson- A cherry Kool-aid bath, now there's an image!

John- I'll add you to the list of horror fans that like the idea of eating the content of, or swimming in, the fountain of blood.

Anthony- I miss a good hockey game. We had a junior club here but it was sold and moved to the mainland. Now it's just 'senior A men (guys from 20yrs until they are decrepit). That's cool about getting the chance to meet the players in the local bar.

Kara McElhinny said...

That is wicked Alan! Glad you posted it :D Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I'm horrified at how absolutely DELIGHTED that "Cauldron of Blood" makes me. I think I actually giggled.

Now I need to reread "The Black Cauldron".

-Mercedes

Danielle Birch said...

Now that's taking your sport seriously :) We just tend to hang flags from bridges over here.

Anonymous said...

Finally after weeks of waiting and anticipation!! Blackhawks run in the Stanley Cup Finals take them to the top of the event rankings .I’m sure that Chicago Blackhawks Tickets will be a sell-out too! Chicago has ALWAYS been a hockey town.
http://www.ticketsinventory.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks-tickets/

Katey said...

Chicago has always been one of my favorite cities to visit, in any country. Now they went up another slot!