Monday, June 27, 2011

The Point? I'm Going into Hiding

The last post about the bald-headed boy with a little point on top got me thinking about a cartoon I saw as a kid. Those of you of the same vintage as myself may remember The Point! by the late Harry Nilsson. The animated feature from 1971 is a fable about a round headed boy named Oblio in a land where everything has a point. The original cartoon was narrated by Ringo Starr and Mike Lookinland (Bobby of the Bradey Bunch) did the voice of Oblio. For those of you that don't follow the link to the Wikipedia write up, I'll share the quote from Harry Nilsson that appears there.

"I was on acid and I looked at the trees and I realized that they all came to points, and the little branches came to points, and the houses came to point. I thought, 'Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's a point to it.'" – Harry Nilsson

Har. They don't make cartoon like THAT any more!

I did a blog post a few weeks back about children's programming (or something like that). It had probably the poorest response I've seen in a long time. Then again, HR Pufnstuff isn't everybody's cup of tea...I hope this link to little Oblio and his dog Arrow proves more entertaining.



I will be buried in work all this week as we near the month end. I also have to finish two flash stories of a 'local flavour' to submit to the annual Cuffer Prize hosted by the Telegram and a local publisher. The deadline is July 9 and I only have one complete (and in dire need of an edit). The other story is only a hazy idea in my head. Perhaps I need to watch some psychedelic cartoons for inspiration.

The bottom line is that I will be 'out of the loop' for a couple of weeks. Therefore 'V' and myself have culled through the Davidson archives and cued up several photos of myself from over the years for your mockery enjoyment (coz you know that I NEVER post photos of myself ;). If you have followed this blog for a long time some of them may be familiar but I think most will be new to you. I think that I will call this the Vanity Project...enjoy and feel free to add your own captions to the daily photos...

7 comments:

Gigi said...

You shall be missed while you are away - but I am anticipating all these photos you speak of.....

Kat said...

A project for your followers, Oh Wise Fez One? Well, that's one way to entertain us in your absence.

Best of luck with the writing and Gigi's right--you'll be missed. :)

Laurita said...

I am so looking forward to captioning all your photos. :)

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I remember that cartoon... but, man, haven't thought about it in YEARS... you don't think there were any hallucinogenic drugs involved in the making of that film, do you?
I was 11 when that cartoon came out.
Where does time go?
Fer sure I'll be counting the minutes until Sir Alan of Newfoundland returns to the blogging table. In the meantime, shall console myself with photos and funny captions. (sharpening my pencil with evil laugh..)
Hurry back!

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks, ladies.

I look forward to your comments on the photos over the next few days.

Fox Lee said...

Ringo is in it? Cool!

Rant-O-Saurus Rex said...

I may not have been around when that cartoon came out... but I do remember seeing it on TV many many years ago... it's just one of those things you forget about, till you see it again. You can't forget that kid with his pylon hat.