Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Potter Moment

The boy and V and myself went to see the new Harry Potter movie on Sunday. I know, it's been out for ages. We prefer to wait until the smoke clears a bit and the pandemonium has died off a bit. And to answer your questions...NO. I did not dress up like Dumbledore, or Draco or even Dobby. I don't have enough beard to be the wizard and I prefer to leave the school boy outfit to Angus Young of AC/DC...

It amazes me how each movie in the series has gotten progressively darker. The first one was positively carefree in comparison to the last one. The subject matter in the last couple of movies doesn't seem like something that you would want to take young children to see. I have never read the books, so I can't comment on how the movies compare to the books. Perhaps somebody can comment on that. Maybe I'll get to the books one of these years.

I'll include a one minute Harry Potter summary for those, like me, who are way to busy to read all of the books. It's a cute thing stumbled across on the Internet a few days ago.



On a side note, it is Regatta Day here in St. John's. It is the 193rd instalment of the longest run annual sporting event in North America. You can read about it here. The city is more abuzz than usual as Russell Crowe is in town. Not so much for the regatta, but he has released an album with local singer Alan Doyle of the band Great Big Sea.  They will be performing together in a pair of fundraising concerts this week and are promoting the release of their new album "The Crowe/Doyle Songbook, Volume III" (also featuring Crowe's wife, Danielle Spencer) available only on iTunes. Crowe and Doyle, along with two other "merry men" (Scott Grimes and Kevin Durand) from last year's Robin Hood movie are also on set to shoot for an episode of CBC's Republic of Doyle.

You can link to an interview with the pair (Crowe and Doyle) by CBC here. I'm hoping that it's accessible by my American (and Australian) friends.

10 comments:

K.C. Shaw said...

The Harry Potter movies have definitely gotten a lot darker from the first one. The same's true of the books, though. I like both the books and the movies, myself.

Laurita said...

I'd be more excited about Scott Grimes being in town (I love him). I bet that would be a great show to see.

I'm disappointed that you didn't dress up to see Harry Potter. Did you at least bring a wand?

Gigi said...

I have read all the books (can I remember them? That is the question.) and if I recall correctly the movie and the books matched up pretty well. I would really like to see the last few, but mine outgrew them and refused to go with me to the last three or four. So then I decided to re-read all the books in sequence....turned out the little (big) snot had given them all away! :sob: AND?! They were hardback editions. I will never forgive him.

Aaron Polson said...

The last film was dark enough in spots to give me the genuine shivers.

Fox Lee said...

The Harry Potter books get darker, which I think is a good thing. It exposes kids to more complicated plots, and gets them ready to read more adult books.

Karen from Mentor said...

Re: the cat video.... "I have boobs now" made me laugh harder than "I have a vagina" BTW? Neither of those phrases have ever been set in type before by me.

[you're a bad influence]

Alan W. Davidson said...

KC- I hope to get to the books one day (Perhaps in 10 years, after I get through Stephen King's "Under the Dome).

Laurita- Har! Scott Grimes. I didn't know that you had a thing for the gingers. And the wand comment?...I won't touch that. There are so many ways that could go.

Gigi- Your kid gave away the Potters? Tell him that he could make ammends with a special gift this Christmas.

Aaron- Yeah some wicked horror going on there. Did you take your boys (and scar them for life)?

Nat- Good point. And by 'adult' books you are refering to something along the lines of your style of fiction.

Karen- Yeah, there were a couple of special lines in the video. There's probably a reason that neither of lines have been set in type (before you). Bad influence? No way! I'm just hoping that no wee kiddies see the cute kitten and stumble upon the video...

John Wiswell said...

I wondered if you'd taken up pottery, Alan. Those books and movies definitely get more consumed with drama over time.

Danielle Birch said...

Happy Regatta Day. Good to hear a fellow Aussie is in town.

Danielle Birch said...

PS Even though he was born in New Zealand, we claim him as our own.