Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mushrooms and Fancy Hats

As with most conversations, I will start off by observing the weather...

We had a sub-tropical day yesterday with a high of about 20C (70F). It was mainly overcast so it didn't feel as warm as it could have. That's a far cry from the hint of snow that were observed on the rooftops of some parts of town on the weekend. I'm no weather man, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe that this spike has to do with the tropical storm Raphael headed in our direction. They are predicting it will pass us somewhere to the east so we won't be battered as we were by Leslie about three weeks ago.

The warm summer and comfortable fall have the grass growing like prairie wheat. I'm soon going to have to order ask bribe the boy to leave the cavernous depths of the basement to go out and mow the lawn.


Upon closer observation, I noticed a dark-coloured mushroom growing in the grass(ignore the weeds). This blackish (blue-ish?) nasty looking thing had me wondering if our front garden had been hijacked by  psilocybin (magic) mushrooms 'farmers' looking for a safe place to grow their crop. After a few minutes of internet research--Google images--I managed to find several photos of magic mushrooms.


photo courtesy of magic-mushroom.net
 The one pictured to the right certainly does NOT look like the fungus growing in the lawn. It's a good thing that I didn't add that to last night's pasta...whoa, just had a flash back to an old Cheech & Chong skit from the 70's...you remember that old shtick, don't you? I shall paraphrase...

"Looks like dog shit, smells like dog shit, feels like dog shit, tastes like dog shit. Must be dog shit. Good thing we didn't step in it!".

All that aside, supposing that it WAS psilocybin and I HAD added it to last nights linguine then perhaps I would have given up my trusty fez for some new head-gear. Something a little reminiscent of the old propeller beanies (see below). Were they from the 50's? Don't ask me...I wasn't around in those days. Perhaps, though, if I had some 'special' mushrooms I could be magically transported back...

"You want me to fly where...?"


6 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Classic Alan! Giggling away here, all by myself, snorting in my morning coffee. That mournful look on your propeller-framed face is priceless!

SueH said...

That 'shroom in the first pic looks to have more than a hint of Hallowe'en about it!

As for 'propeller-head' - I have the 'Inspector Gadget' music in my mind, now! ;-p

Gigi said...

That picture is priceless! And thanks @Sue H....now I have the Inspector Gadget theme song in MY head!

Go, go, Gadget, GO!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Magic is what this season"s all about, right?
I didn't know boy was down in the basement. Isn"t he staying?

Laurita said...

A hat like those would probably go really well with those mushrooms...

Alan W. Davidson said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies. That new hat is good for keeping me cool on hot days...but I'm not ready to throw away my fez yet!

"Go, go, Gadget," he sez as he munches on another fistful of 'shrooms...