Monday, March 21, 2011

(Almost) Good Enough to Eat

I've been around dogs my entire life in some fashion or another. You've all probably heard me go on about having been a dog catcher (or the more PC...Animal Control Officer) in a former life. As a child we had a pair of fox terriers called Monday and Tuesday, and in my teen years we had shelties.You never know what will happen with dogs as they have as many quirks as their owners. We now have a greyhound called 'Jet' that we got from the local greyhound rescue group. We sometimes refer to him as 'the dog' or simply 'dog', much the same way we refer to our son as 'the boy'. Kind of a term of endearment.

We feed the dog Purina One, Lamb and Rice chow with probiotics (the probiotics help keep the dog-gas to a minimum...at least we don't need to sit about in the evening wearing the WWII gas masks anymore). So nauseous are the fumes that we even add fresh yogurt with probiotics to the mix. A kind of insurance policy.

Anyway...I mix the whole thing together and it looks like a nasty mess. Sort of a 'dog's breakfast', as it were. No matter, Jet eats it anyways. Without fail, he leaves behind three or four pieces of the chow in the dish. Why? I've pondered this mystery for some time. Perhaps even obsessed over it. 'V' tells me that I should just let it go. She says that, if it helps, I should just think of the chow as a gift from dog.

Speaking of a dog's breakfast...

Help! My spoon is stuck
The cold weather has us eating a lot of soup. I recently opened up a tin of Campbells's Chunky beef soup (No, neither they nor Purina are paying me for the endorsements...)and instantly flashed back to my teen years and the tins of dog food I used to crack open for the shelties. That was Dr. Ballard's beef stew. I often thought the beefy bits, carrots and peas were fantastic looking and nearly good enough to eat. I was too much of a wimp, though, to actually give it a taste. I think that may have been a Canadian brand of dog food and those of you in other countries may not have heard of it. I took a few photos of the tinned soup, though, that we had for lunch last week. Sort of a visual aid. Yum. Except that the soup was a bit congealed. And there weren't many meaty bits. When I get thinking of it, the Dr. Ballard's was actually a lot nicer looking than the beef soup. Sadly, I understand that they were bought out by Friskies, who ceased production in 2001.



Shlurp! The unveiling...


The Leaning Tower of...












I pine for the days of Dr. Ballard's


*Sniffs* Now I shall never be able to conduct that taste test. Take my advise...strike while the iron is hot. (OK, that was a bit cliche...)

14 comments:

Kara McElhinny said...

My very first boyfriend ever, accidentally ate some doggie snacks when he was over at my house :) completely ignored the box, popped the little imitation pizza tasting (and barbie sized "pizza") into his mouth...then my brother and I begun to laugh hysterically -- first beau shrugged, saying "It doesn't taste like anything..." and so ends the story.

Of course, for another one, my father always used to eat corn-beef hash and told us that it was dog food. I've yet to ever try it because it does look worse...at least in my eyes.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Sorry, I was drawn away momentarily by Sin's ass over there on the right.. but I'm back! I remember Dr. Ballard's! it had a German shepherd on the label, if I remember correctly. It was generally too expensive for our dogs, though, but every once in a while... So I spent a fair bit of time looking for a Dr. Ballard's label and found only one, a painting of a label, done by SOMEONE I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH! Unbelievable, I know... it took me all the way to Newfoundland to find a woman from Markham, Ont. Now, back to Sin's search for Korean boys...

Jhon Baker said...

Always fed my dog kibbles and bits growing up and my brother ate it sometimes - he had pica but we never did anything about it because it was funny. Years ago I made the connection to canned cat food and canned soup and have not eaten any soup from a can since - all soup I inject is now made from scratch by my loving wife.

Laurita said...

So, probiotics is the trick, eh? I think I'll have to give that one a try. Many a quiet family evening has been disturbed with the kids screaming EWWWWW, then desperately trying to waft the fumes away while the dogs snoozes away ont he rug. I find a pillow or thick blanket to the nose works.

Laura Eno said...

What is Cathy looking at? I'm seeking sin...oh, where were we...yes, that congealed mess makes my mouth, uh, water. Yum.

EC said...

Fork or spoon with that one? Let's just hope they are made in separate factories.

Dogs named Monday and Tuesday, I love that, and 'the dog.' My girls often go by 'the twins' and as much as I hate that, I can't always break my lazy tongue.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Kara- Hey…what’s wrong with corned beef hash? So what if it’s all squished up with potatoes with beans on top. TIP ~ it’s a lot less dog-foodish if you don’t mash the potatoes and just cube them instead.

Cathy- Just to set the record straight…it’s not Sin’s ass, over on the sidebar. It’s some Korean fellow she searched up on the internet. We used to mix the Dr. Ballard’s with dry food to stretch it out (5 kids is a lot to feed…). The label painted by someone you went to school with. Small world, eh?

Jhon- I wish we more pro-active and made a huge batch of soup to divvy up for the week. Then we could be rid of the evil tinned soup. He, he, he…I had to look up the word ‘pica’. It all makes sense now…

Laurita- Dogs are evil creatures. Then again, many a poor dog has been blamed for odors NOT produced by THEIR rear ends.

Laura- Yum? You were talking about the soup. Correct?

Erin- That would be funny to find out that the same company made both, just changing the exterior labeling. ‘The Twins’. Nice. Hey, as long as it’s a term of endearment and said with love.

Danielle Birch said...

Mmmm, soup weather coming up over here.

We have a kelpie called Kirra who is also known as "The Little Girl". She mainly eats dog food but is also fond of ham and cheese sandwiches and mashed potato.

Fox Lee said...

I forget what I was going to write. All I can see is Okite Porsche's ass, to the to right of this box. It's looking right at me. Not that I'm complaining : )

Gigi said...

Unfortunately, "the powers that be" have yet to figure out how to make anything from a can look appealing right after opening. Considering how far we've come technologically you'd think they'd have worked that out by now.

K.C. Shaw said...

That soup looks...well. Never mind.

I fed my dog Nutro Max for years and years, the only brand I found that didn't upset his stomach. He was a delicate gigantic dog--a Newfoundland, as a matter of fact. I did actually try a few pieces of the kibble once (long story) and it was pretty good. Bland, but good.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Danielle- I'll assume that 'kelpie' is an Aussie term for a dog. Here in Newfoundland they call little mongrel dogs 'crackies'. Kirra sounds like she has a refined palate.

Nat- Er...Okite Porche's ass left me somewhat speechless as well...

Gigi- Yeah, why can't they figure that out? The beefy ones tend to be gelatinous, but the chicken ones are more watery.

KC- Pffft! Anyone can munch on a wee bit of chow. A real hero is the one that goes for the meaty dog and cat foods.

John Wiswell said...

I wish I didn't like Chunky's Sirloin as much as I do. Chock full of preservatives and flavor. Mm mm, kicks away the cold.

Harry said...

That's funny! Actually a lot of funny stuff in here. "a dogs breakfast" if it is what I think it is, (a Dingo's breakfast I'm told is a piss and a good look around:) Also "a gift from dog" made me chuckle.

I too remember de-canning that delectable Kennel-Ration for our dog Lucky, it came out in a cylinder shaped just like the can, but on the rare occassion he got Alpo, that stuff looked good enough to tuck into!

Thanks for the grins!