Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

Yes, today was pancake day and I hope that all of you who partook of the flapjack meal enjoyed yourselves. I let the boy choose between pancakes and macaroni for supper and he picked macaroni *sighs*.

Besides Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday or whatever you wish to call it, today was also International Women's Day. I discovered this at the Huffington Post. In fact, it's the 100th anniversary of the event. The Huffington Post provided many links to stories by noted women and I can link you to a few from here. Drop by and read the stories by Queen NoorMarlo Thomas, Ashley Judd, Annie Lennox, Roseanne Barr, and many others.

Yesterday I found this short film (2 minutes) narrated by Dame Judy Dench regarding the inequality between men and women that persists in the workplace. You may find the clip, entitled 'Equals', featuring Daniel Craig to be somewhat amusing and definitely enlightening.

6 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Oh. That was a really, really good clip. So thought-provoking. And Judy Dench... her voice is wonderful.
Hey! We had macaroni tonight, too! The boy chose it here, also. But we had pancakes on Saturday so felt like something less maple-ish.
Happy Women's Day, Alan!

David Barber said...

Great clip, Alan. I wont tell the wife it's International Womens Day, she may want a day out of the shackles!!

(she doesn't know I wrote that so keep it between you and me, Alan)

Ha!!!!

Katey said...

So good. <3

Fox Lee said...

Really good video. And Daniel Craig wasn't a bad looking woman!

Akasha Savage. said...

For the first time in twenty-six (long) years I didn't have to make pancakes this Shrove Tuesday (Yay!). My son and Japanese daughter-in-law are living with us for a while til they emigate to Japan, and Nao decided she wanted to do the pancake making this year. :D

Alan W. Davidson said...

Cathy- Sean often heats up those 4-packs of frozen pancakes (er, yum?) for breakfast, so I guess the prospect of pancakes for supper wasn't as appetizing as his beloved macaroni...

David- Our wee secret, my friend.

Katey- Why yes. Yes it is.

Nat- Perhaps a bit harsh looking as a woman. Still prefer him in the tux.

Akasha- It's so nice when the youths like to take over our roles. Put your feet up. Time for a rest. That will be a longer journey for you to vistit them and vice versa.